Saturday, May 25, 2024

Trout Fishing on the Mighty MO





 I spent two weeks in Helena Montana fishing the Missouri River several years ago. It was during the three months I spent fishing all the major rivers and streams of Montana.  I am planning a return expedition in a short time to explore some smaller streams that feed into the river. I’ll post one where I caught several fish. Wolf Creek in a different posting. It took me a couple of days to figure out what these fish were eating. Many times you can use similar flies from one region to another and get similar results. But after going through almost every fly in the 1000’s in my boxes I found a small fly shop that made a few suggestions. These fish are extremely picky and they are under extreme pressure from hundreds of float boats that at times look like a traffic jam on a major highway. I saw dozens of 20-25 inch fish laying in relatively shallow water and when I threw a cast in the direction they darted away 100 yards up the river.  There a a lot of side offshoots along the river that are slow moving water where they lay but any disturbance that isn’t natural causes them to bolt up these channels like a freight train. I eventually landed several decent cut bows and a 20 inch brown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment