Saturday, May 25, 2024

Bass man too


 Before I got into trout fishing I was an avid bass fisherman.  I started out fishing for bass and brim in the dozens of little canals that were in the area I grew up in. I regularly caught numerous bass every day in my forays from the canals to the occasional lake.  I actually fished several times at the lake where Jackie Gleason, aka Ralph of the Honeymooner’s show. The golf course was known as “The Inverness” in Pompano Beach Florida.  There were a number of smaller lakes in this area and my first experience was fishing in a crystal clear lake with earthworms catching loads of bass and shell crackers.  Soon I was on to catching 10-12 pound bass in lakes in the area.  I never kept the bigger fish because they were terrible eating. The 1-3 pound ones were fabulous fare. I only kept one big one because I accidentally killed it while trying to get a camera to take a picture. These were the days before GoPro and digital cameras. And a young fella like me wasn’t interested in taking pictures to document the huge fish I was catching. That’s why I accidentally killed the one in the photo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment