Wednesday, August 29, 2018

A day on the water

A few weeks ago while guiding a fellow guides client who was having a bad day fishing asked me. "Why do you pursue these stupid fish?"  I had never been asked that question before! It took me by surprise and I had to think for a moment how to answer.  I said stand here a moment, look, listen, breathe, feel. Look at the trees as they move and sway with the breeze. See the faint reflections of branches as they play like fingers on the water. Listen to the rustle of the breeze, the gurgle of the stream as it cascades over rocks. Smell the different fragrances that float through the air? Feel the cool water as it slaps against the wadders and it wets the hand as you play the line.  Fishing’s a myriad of experiences that have little things to do with chasing the fish.  That’s why I am on the water as often as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment